Friday, August 30, 2013

What does it mean to be your sister?

If I have said it once I have said it a million times. Being Javad's sister is a blessing and a curse. I have the love and support of a community that understands the hardships while treasuring the good moments. I also have a little brother that loves me unconditionally, though he doesn't know how to show it often. One of the hardest things about Javad isn't necessarily the MTM. I mean, don't get me wrong, that is a struggle. One of the hardest parts is the quirks.

I have been saying since Javad was little that he has autistic/aspergers traits. You can't really deny it. He's wicked smart. He'll watch the same clip (to the milisecond) of a video over and over again. He has a total melt down if there is a break in his routine. He doesn't handle change. He also doesn't understand people's emotions a lot of the time. Doesn't understand why people's feelings are hurt when he pushes them away, or won't let them near him. Everything is on Javad's terms.

Living so far away that's been hard. I would love to call on the phone and have him want to talk, or want to see me when I facetimed with my mom. Granted he did see me and smiled and gave kisses but it wasn't his first choice. He would rather have continued watching whatever it was on his Ipad. It's funny to think that I always make light of the 30 second clip over and over. It's like he knew that he would be a pre-teen during the rise of vine. Vine was made for my brother. Truly it was. It doesn't make it easier though. Him being 'different' isn't easy. I wouldn't change him for the world, but there were days that I wish he was like everyone else's little brothers so that I didn't have to explain him. He's not though, and he never will be, and that can be hard to choke down sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment